Topic: home water filter

Does anyone know of a good water filtration system that will filter all water coming into my house?
thanks,
Kathyb.

Re: home water filter

I have an Ionic's Water Conditioner.  According to the sales people, this is the same system used by NASA.  I'm happy with it.

Hmmm, thanks belladonna.
how much am i looking at pricewise if i want to do something like that?
Kathy.

Kathy, I got a whole house water filter at Walmart. It filters out all large particles and added chemicals. I don't detect anything in my water and don't have trouble with staining in my bathtub, ect. I also have a Brita filter for my drinking water. It is the cooler model that has cold and hot water spigots.
With these systems, they all promise pure water, but it is also hard to know what is being filtered exactly. So I'm not sure my way is the best or not.
I've heard that reverse osmosis systems are the most thorough.
Guess it depends on how much you are willing to spend.
Might check Consumer Reports magazine at your local library, I'm sure they have covered the subject at one time or  another. ~m~

I spent about $6000.  Florida is supposed to have the 43rd worst water in the country and the highest rates of all types of cancer, bladder infections, etc.  The ionics system is supposed to filter everything except fluoride, including bacteria, viruses, radiation, chlorine, and all the bad chemicals in the water supply. 

The guy gave me a great sales pitch showing all the debris in the water before and after.  I probably spent too much, but once I learned that we absorb more chlorine in a few seconds in the shower than we do from all the water we drink in a day, I knew I wanted a whole house system.

Thanks, guys for the input.  i had a water softener guy come to my house and do a demo once, it was pretty impressive, i'm not sure if they have tricks to make the demo more convincing, but is a water softener system a good way of purifying water? is soft water better for you than hard?  anyone know?

this system was 2 or 3 thousand bucks if i remember right.
thanks,
Kathy

Depends on the type of unit. Generally, water softeners remove iron, manganese and iron bacteria. They're not used for purification, but prevent stains on clothing or porcelain. Some softeners will remove chlorine, but these versions include a filter. If your concern is purification, filters and purifiers are the way to go.

I was at one of our department stores, anderson's, i don't know how widespread that chain is, and they have a system for 28$.  I guess i'll have to reasearch alot more on the subject.  I guess like chickadee brought up, you have to find out what exactly is being filtered out too, and see if it fits your wants and needs.
i think i want one that gets out most everything!

JMS,
what system do you have again?  i think you mentioned it on a different thread, but i can't remember.
and about what price range?

thanks,

Kathy

Hi kathyb!

I have an Aquasana system. The company is based in FL, where water quality is quite poor, so these folks really know their stuff! They offer a complete home system for $675-- http://www.aquasanausa.com. I'm very happy with their products.

It's good to check around, too. You'll be most satisfied $$$- and perfomance-wise

Blessings, Health & Good fortune! *JMS.