Topic: DAMAGED HAIR & NON CARING HAIRDRESSERS

Hi, I am a 53 year old menopausal woman and have had my hair colored for several years first doing it at home and the last 10+ years at salons. I have been having my new growth colored a dark blonde (level 7) with warm pale blonde highlights. My hair has been over processed twice in the last 4 months by inexperienced licensed people. I have been dealing with hair breakage, frizzies, dryness and dead dull looking hair. I practice a very holistic lifestyle and I know I need to get away from the chemical hair products, but I hate my gray and my natural hair color really doesn't flatter me. I am currently dealing with a lot of stress in my personal and family life and I know that doesn't help! I found a couple of hair care lines online that state that they are vegan and organic; Pureology and MOP. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about these two lines? My natural color of hair is a dark dirty blonde with some red in it and I am over 50% gray. I have been told that I look better in neutral warm based colors. I would like to highlight my gray and liven up my natural hair color. Whatever color recommendations you could give me using your pure henna product would be great? I stopped taking a prescription medication about 6 weeks ago and I was told that it was still probably coming out of my scalp and wondered if that was true? I probably need to do a detox on my scalp? After I wash my hair my scalp is tight and dry and it itches a little. My hair is fine and I have soft natural curls and waves. I use an ionic hair brush on my hair 2-3 times a week. My scalp was so sore and painful from my last visit to the hair salon. I was wondering about your brushing/massaging techniques? Right now I am not doing anything to my hair except washing it with shampoos that have no SLS and no chemicals. I am currently using the Vital Image Renewal Shampoo, Hair Therapy Conditioner and their Hair Fixer spray mist, which is 100% organic. I just recently bought the C-System Pure Shampoo (sulfate free) by MOP and their conditioning styling spray. I have been letting my hair air dry. I have been using the spray on hair shine products on my hair. The spray on shine doesn't seem to last that long on my hair and it really does build up using it every day, so I have been backing off on using it. I just recently had my hair cut and it looks a little better! When you have damaged hair, it is just damaged until it is cut off. I will have to say its very difficult to live with damaged hair and hair color that you didn't ask for due to negligent errors in a salon that could have been avoided. I appreciate your response concerning what would be good to do for my hair and my scalp. Thank You!

FIRST OF ALL CONFRONT YOUR HAIRDRESSER!
after all if your scalp is in pain and your hair is damaged one needs to take back their power and go in and talk to the damaging agent!
Other then that:
When one is practicing a healthy and natural life style that takes into account all areas of ones body, emotions and mental arenas stress is not a good thing to go thru!
Yes your hair is beyond repair haircutting recommended as much as possible. Nothing will bring back stripped and bleached hair, nothing!
Detox is a good thing try our Zen Hair and scalp Detox.
Two process of blonde hair coloring is two too many!
HENNA FOR ALL REASONS:
YES if you are truly interested in your health then time and patience.
stop all chemical processes including all of the hair care products you have mentioned are all very commercial!
Henna try our marigold Blonde It could turn your grey into blonde and highlight the rest of the hair.
Read our henna page from cover to cover necessary to get re-educated.
There is nothing anywhere but HENNA for a natural life style.
its alittle experimental in the beginning but adjust as you go along with the henna. 100% of all our customers who have gone to henna now swear by it and will never use anything else honestly nothing else but!
please read thru our forum and educational literature.
You have some catching up on to do.
Great Journey Anthony Morrocco

Re: DAMAGED HAIR & NON CARING HAIRDRESSERS

I too am considering going to henna rather than the damaging dangerous chemical laden traditional hair colors- my hair is naturally dark blonde- and recent hair stylists have dyed it a bright red amongst other colors.  I remember the stylist saying that henna is no good b/c it can permantly change your hair or something - is that true?

3 (edited by pawdna 2006-10-17 11:02:31)

Wanting to get away from chemicals in coloring my hair, I have been using the wash-out Fanci-Ful hair color after shampooing. Is this something I should discontinue? My hair is a Med/Dark ash blonde with greying in it & about a year ago I bought a powdered Henna at the health food store. It showed the color to be a light beige, which was closest to my color. I waited a bit before using it as I knew others who went really red when they used it. But I finally bit the bullet & did it. My hair was worse than Ronald McDonald's. I was horrified!! to say the least. My hairdresser (usually I do my own hair, so I know the products that go on it) put Fanci-Ful White Minx on it & got it almost back to where I started. How is yours any different being's it's still a Henna product? I don't want a repeat of that nightmare. Please help me with this problem -- I do NOT want to be grey!!  Thx

4 (edited by JMS 2006-10-17 12:37:54)

Pureology and MOP contain SLS and all the parabens and harsh chemicals. You can find a list of ingredients on drugstore.com and adorebeauty.com. Here's an example of their "purity":

MOP C-System Clean Shampoo

Water (Aqua), Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate (*Mixed Vegetables), Cocamidopropyl Betaine (*Coconut Oil), Coco-Glucoside (*Coconut Oil), Glyceryl Oleate (*Coconut/Palm Oil), Carica Papaya Fruit Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract, Citrus Nobilis (Mandarin Orange) Peel Extract, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Fruit Extract, Medicago Sativa (Alfalfa) Extract (3), Rosa Canina Seed Extract (3), Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract (3), Sambucus Nigra Fruit Extract (3), Ascorbic Acid, Retinyl Palmitate, Sodium Ascorbate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Hydroxypropyl Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, PEG-150 Pentaerythrityl Tetrastearate, PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides, Glycerin, Tetrasodium EDTA, Citric Acid, Phenoxyethanol, **Methylparaben, **Propylparaben. *Source.**Food Grade. (3) Certified Organic by Quality Assurance International.

Many hair "stylists" are uncaring, unknowledgable and will say anything to get you in their chair. They make false statements about their "talent" or a product's "purity" and go on to claim their "expertise." But you won't see them accept accountability. You'll only see their insecurity and defensiveness when you confront them. Listen and watch how they respond.

I wouldn't give 97% of hairstylists I've known the time of day. A few, like Anthony, his apprentice Linda and my hair therapist Suzette Twining of New Berlin, WI, are true soul-hair experts.

Outside of MM and Aubrey, I wouldn't let these so-called hair "care" products, or their alleged "experts," touch my locks with a ten-foot comb.

Hi.My hairdresser totally damaged my hair!!She bleached my roots twice,inbetween she did afew black streaks.
$200 after:white roots,completely red and blistered scalp and of course my hair is breaking and breaking and breaking...The blisters are very painful!The hair on top of my head is broken and it looks ridiculous.There's no way I can repair the damage.This happened yesterday,Saturday.I'm going tomorrow,Monday,to ask for my $200
backand ask for products for damaged hair,which of course I'm not planning to pay for!What do you think I should tell them,what am I supposed to do?My hair is very vey ugly...Thank you...

6 (edited by JMS 2006-11-20 12:08:52)

Dear v****,

I am so sorry to hear what happened to you. Many people don't understand how vulnerable one is when hair "stylists" abuse. I'm beginning to believe that stylists should require a health care license, in addition to a cometological one, and be subject to the same kinds of rules and enforcements of these licensees.

Based on my hair assault last August, from which I am still recovering physically and emotionally, I recommend that, if you do confront the individual who caused you harm, you bring someone with you *whom you trust*. I don't recommend their "products" to fix the damage, though. I think it's good to ask for your money back. You might talk with the manager, if there is one, or the owner of the establishment. You can also report this "stylist" to your state Board of Cosmetology.

I believe that an assessment and plan of recovery is best executed with an experienced, holistic hair healer. Healing products are key. Anthony can help with this. You might also consider taking good photographs. Depending on the degree of damage, you may want to attempt recovery of monetary damages from a small claims court or a civil or criminal suit. But I leave the legal advice to those so trained.

Please be hopeful, be good and kind to yourself, release the shame that belongs to those who inflicted the harm. You can and will heal.

Blessings,
JMS

Reading the above terrible stories I was shocked! I had no idea these kind of things ever occured!  My hair is long, below my waist,so I had little if any contact with hairdressers, I made most of my own shampoos. About four or five years ago, I had problems with breakage, and poor quality of my hair                   Then a friend turned me on to Morrocco products--my hair grew to knee length and the quality became amazing!  I am so excited to be able to access this forum and learn more of how to care for my hair.  Thanks so much for the opportunity!.  Ranan