Topic: Brenda's hair journal

So I am at the end of one week and so far so good. I have done one Zen Detox and will do another tomorrow. I can go every other day shampooing before I look too greasy. I've tried to not blow dry my hair, but it is so flat that it is not becoming. Not sure what to do there. I brush 2-3 times a day and I love it! Still waiting for all the other bad stuff, but it hasn't happened yet.

You always have a choice!

Warning: preg_replace_callback(): Empty regular expression in /home/morforum/public_html/include/parser.php on line 811

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected 'text' (T_STRING) in /home/morforum/public_html/include/parser.php(811) : runtime-created function on line 1

Warning: preg_replace_callback(): Requires argument 2, '', to be a valid callback in /home/morforum/public_html/include/parser.php on line 811

Re: Brenda's hair journal

Thanks Evan, for your response. I read through the article that you forwarded and I have used the Blood of the Dragon hair gel, but it doesn't give me much hold.  Would the pomade hold better?  Should I use both the Sapphire Volumizing mist and the gel? I am still using hairspray to keep my bangs (that I am growing out) from falling in my eyes as I find it annoying when people are constantly flicking their heads to keep hair out of their eyes.  My issue is that my hair is only chin length and super straight and still has some layers as I've been growing it out from a pixie cut. If I don't blow dry it, it is flat to my head. I have been able to give up my flat iron, but I can't figure out how to stop blow drying. Help

I would suggest using either the pomade or the wax depending on the amount of hold you want.  The pomade will give you medium hold, the wax will give you extreme hold, but it may weigh down your already flat hair.  Yes, you can certainly use the volumizer mist AND the pomade or wax for hold. If your blow dryer has a cool setting you could try using that instead.  It will take longer to dry, but without all the heat damage.  

Enjoy!

End of week two and things are getting a little better.  A little. I am brushing almost 3x everyday. Washing every other day by following the lunar chart and have used the Zen Detox twice.  My hair is still flat without blow drying, but I'm getting used to it. I think. It doesn't have a lot of shine which disappoints me, but it is soft.  I will continue and hope things will get better.

Hello Brenda,

Things can be very discouraging and frustrating while going through detox just remember: things will get better!  Detox can last anywhere from 3 days to 6 months.  Remember that we spent years using chemicals on our hair before going natural so the detox is first going to strip your hair of those chemicals and after that process it will begin to repair your hair.  I know it can be frustrating, but hang in there!  Progress is slow, but so worth it!

Brenda, the shine will return. Along with silky and soft hair. The wait is worth it, IMHO.

Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right!

Well, here I am the end of week 3. Things are not getting better, they are actually getting worse. Before I could wash my hair every other day, now I have to do it everyday or it looks awful!  I have used the Zen Detox  3 times, but am trying to use the lunar chart for the shampoo's.  It's still very hard for me to not blow dry my hair because it just lies there all limp and lifeless. Today I tried setting it on velcro rollers and it looked better, but I don't always have two hours to allow my hair to dry. The really funny thing is that I do not have lint, flakes, or stickiness, just greasy, oily hair that looks awful. It doesn't help that I live in the hot humid south.

The detox period is a rough time for everyone, the hair does get much worse before it gets better.  This is because it is releasing the chemicals from your hair.  Once the chemicals are gone from your hair it will begin to repair the hair.  Many people experience oily, almost waxy, hair during detox.  This is completely normal.  The end result is worth it.  The detox period is extremely difficult to get through because it seems like there is nothing you can do to your hair to make it look good, but just hang in there.

One month!! I made it through, but my hair only looks good for 12 hours. I am brushing 3x a day and by the time I brush before bed, it is so oily it doesn't move.  I look like a greaser from the '60's. I'll keep going, but I sure hope it won't take 6 months......

Here are some ways you can deal with an oily/greasy scalp and hair:
- Wash TWICE. The first time will loosen any debris or oil that is in your hair, the second will wash it away. Because you are mixing the shampoo with water, you aren't using significantly more shampoo.
- Use apple cider vinegar rinse (100% organic acv) as a shampoo to clear away build up and to help restore your scalp's pH balance, then follow up with one of our shampoos. Try doing it once a week or every other day if needed.
- Do a Zen Detox once a week for 3 weeks, rest one week then repeat until your scalp begins to balance out again.
- Use the Earth Essence Shampoo in your rotation more often.
- Brush, brush, brush! Keep on brushing: Daily brushing of the hair and scalp (2-3 times a day):
     -- Far more cleansing than any commercial, artificial shampoo
     -- Eliminates waste materials- deposits of uric acid crystals, catarrh and other acids and impurities that build up and become encrusted on the scalp
     -- Stimulates the capillaries, increasing blood circulation and the transport of oxygen and nutrients to the hair stem, root and bulb
     -- Stimulates hormone- and oil- producing glands, which keeps the pores of the hair and scalp open, allowing them to breathe and retain their natural oils
-You can use cornstarch as a dry shampoo in between washes

I'm now at 6 weeks of using MIM. I've used the red henna, which turned out beautiful and today I went for Fall Solstice haircut.  The stylist who cuts my hair has been doing so for 10 years.  She also colored it and I must admit did a beautiful job.  I went in with my hair wet so she wouldn't use the salon's shampoo and took along the Dragon Pomade for her to use.  She said my hair felt funny. Heavy. And took forever to dry. She did like the color of the henna though and actually applauded me for making changes. She said my hair felt as though it was coated with something.  Like conditioner that hasn't been rinsed out. She asked if maybe I am using too much shampoo and thought I should dilute it more. I believe I am still detoxing since I have to shampoo everyday or my hair is really greasy and waxy and separates, but could I use too much of the shampoo?

You can use too much shampoo.  She is completely correct, you should dilute the shampoo more.  If you use too much shampoo it can cause your hair to get oily since it is so concentrated.  After the henna your hair can also feel heavy because the henna does coat the hair, but that feeling should go away in a few days.  Use less shampoo and dilute it more.  Try to avoid conditioner.  In 72 hours, or a little bit more, do a Zen Detox treatment.  People have a lot of issues with the change in the seasons too, so this could have something to do with it.  Make sure you have a water filter on your shower head.

Two months and still detoxing, I think.  I rotate shampoo's, brush twice a day, use the Zen Detox for 3 weeks, then off a week. I use no other products (except maybe a little hairspray to keep my hair from falling into my eyes) and still I am detoxing.  When I do brush first thing in the morning my hair is so greasy, I am embarrassed to even go to the gym. My hair is so straight and still having lots of hair loss. It's fine, so that is a problem. The only positive thing I say about my hair is that it is shiny. I love the shampoo's and won't go back, but I want to not have to wash everyday. I want some body back in my hair. It's so flat!!!nomicons/sad I'll keep going, but it's not easy.

Make sure you are shampooing twice when you are shampooing and diluting the shampoos 50/50 with water.  I would recommend using less shampoo than you are using because using too much shampoo can actually make your hair oily.  Do NOT use hairspray.  This is one of the most chemically laden products on the market and will surely prolong your detox process.  I would recommend doing the Neutral Henna to help get some body back in your hair.

I do shampoo twice and dilute the shampoo more than 50/50. Probably more like 60/40. I'll try to not use hairspray, but my hair falls in my eyes. I have used the henna, but not the neutral henna. Is it different? how will I know when I'm done detoxing? All of the sudden, I am experiencing a lot of static when brushing.

The henna will give you the same affects as the Neutral Henna.  I would recommend mixing the Styling Gel with water in a spray bottle and using that as hairspray.  You will know when you are done detoxing.  Your hair will be shiny, healthy, and strong.  If you are experiencing a lot of static, it means there is not enough moisture.  I would recommend using conditioner ONLY in the ends of your hair to help with this issue.  Your detox may be prolonged by the change of the seasons, which is a common issue.

Thanks Katie, I'll try the gel and water mixed. Is it a 50/50 blend?  My hair is naturally very STRAIGHT and right now it's behaving as it did when I was young (I'm 56) before I began processing it.  It is shiny, and appears to be healthy and strong.  Could it be that maybe I will just always need to wash everyday?  It looks so good each day after washing. It's just flat and very straight.  I was hoping for some of that curl or at least a wave that I saw Anthony talk about in the video's.

It may be that you need to wash everyday.  You could also use cornstarch as a dry shampoo or the Zen Detox as a dry shampoo so you don't have to wash your hair daily.  Mix the dragon gel (4 tablespoons) and water (1.5 Cups) to achieve a light to medium hold hairspray.

Katie,

Just so I understand, are you telling me that if my hair appears healthy and strong, I may be through the detox and just need to wash my hair everyday?If that's the case, I am truly disappointed in your products. When using regular shampoo (and expensive, not cheap Walmart stuff), I could go two days in between washings and had great looking hair that was always complimented. If the final result is the hair I have now and it's not going to get better, I may give up.nomicons/sad

Are you using the Zen Detox once a week?  Do you have a water filter in your shower?  If your hair is oily and limp it may be that you are actually using too much shampoo.  Try to cut down on the amount of shampoo you use and dilute it with more water.  You can also use Zen Detox or cornstarch as a dry shampoo.  How is your hair now, what are the issues?  Tell me about your everyday hair care routine and please as detailed as possible.

I brush twice a day, 40 strokes 3x. In the morning before I shower and before bed. I shampoo my hair twice everyday, always rotating the shampoos. I mix them with distilled water and use my MM scalp massager and run a comb through my hair to be sure all the shampoo is out.  I towel and air dry, occasionally I blow dry if I have to be somewhere, but always on low. I use no conditioners except the Diamond Mist if I have a lot of static. I use no styling products except once in a while Blood of the Dragon mixed with water to keep the hair from falling in my eyes. I use the Zen Detox once w a week and leave it on the full 2 hours. 
I have no hair loss, dandruff, or stickiness. My hair is very shiny and feels clean as long as I don't touch it. The minute I brush it again, whether it's been an hour or 12, it's immediately oily and stringy.

I would recommend brushing less often if it is giving you problems.  You can brush once a day or just before you shower.  Make sure you are cleaning your brush often as this could be an issue also.  If the only thing that is causing you issues is brushing, I would recommend cutting down on the brushing.

Four month mark! Things are better but I must still be detoxing because my hair is still very oily at the scalp, especially when I brush more than once a day, and very dry and fly away everywhere else. When wet it feels very odd, not like real hair.  I wonder if this is because the old processed color hasn't grown out.  The new hair underneath feels soft and silky.  Will I ever be able to go more one day without washing?????

If you are having issues with greasy hair when brushing, I would recommend cutting down on brushing and only brushing before showers.  The hair will feel different when wet because there is no chemical build-up or chemical fillers left in the hair, you are feeling your real hair.  People do have issues with the change of the seasons also.  You may want to take the Sea Essence out of rotation for now as it might be too moisturizing for your hair.