Topic: Dry, Flaky Scalp

Hello Anthony and MM,

Using the MM products has definitely improved the condition of my scalp, but it is still dry and flaky. (My hair is also very dry as well.) Currently I am only using the Sea Essence and Pine Shale shampoos with Pearl Essence on the ends. I liberally use the Diamond Mist, brush 3 times a day and also use the Euro Oil.

The day after I wash out a Euro Oil treatment, my scalp goes right back to being dry and flaky again. I was wondering if there is anything else I could be doing to help? (I would prefer to not have to walk around with a head full of oil every day with my hair in a braid.) Is it something that gets better over time? Or am I just doomed to live with a dry scalp? 

Thanks for your help!
Eden

Re: Dry, Flaky Scalp

It sounds like you are going through the detox period.  Are you diluting the shampoos and shampooing twice when you shampoo?  How often are you washing your hair?  Are you using hot water or warm water when you shower?  Do you live in a cold climate that is currently going through the winter season?

Thank you!

Hi Katie!

Thanks for responding. Yes, I dilute the shampoos 50/50 with water and shampoo twice, focusing mainly on the scalp. I wash my hair every third day putting a little oil on my scalp the night before. I use warm water and try not to use too hot water. I also finish with a cold rinse. I am in Los Angeles, so it's not terribly dry here. Oh, and I also have a shower filter for the hard water.

My scalp issues have improved with MM, but I am still experiencing dry flakes when I brush with the boar brush. My hair is thick so I use the mixed bristle brush. Any other suggestions for what else I should be doing would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Eden

The flakes could very well be a mixture of your scalps sebaceous oils and the chemical build-up being released.  My guess is that you are past the waxy stage of the detox and you are now seeing the true damaged state of your hair.  This is when the healing begins.  It will get better.  I would recommend doing the oil treatments more often.  You may also want to put the Pearl Essence Creme Rinse from roots to ends when you condition.  I would avoid the Zen Detox for now as it can be rather drying to the hair and scalp sometimes.

Thanks Katie!

That sounds exactly like what I am experiencing. My hair is definitely dry and damaged and I can't really hide it. I am waiting for it to get longer so I can cut off the damaged razored parts.  

In the meantime, I will continue with the Pearl Essence conditioner and the oil treatments. I also was wondering if you think a neutral henna treatment would help with dry hair and flaky scalp. Or should I also avoid that for now?

Thanks!
Eden

The Neutral Henna would be great for your hair as long as your hair is pre-oiled before applying the henna.