1 (edited by Rachel777 2014-12-02 18:56:18)

Topic: White, greasy deposit on brush

Thanks to your products (Fire and Earth shampoos - the only ones currently available from amazon!) my hair is now less tangled and easier to style, but also more voluminous; also, the dry skin at the top of my neck that made me want to try out the MM, while still a problem, is not as bad as it once was. I find I now only have to wash my hair once a week, which, since I have long, very thick hair that takes 3 hours to dry naturally and about 40 minutes with a blow dryer, makes my life so much easier!

However, I have one problem. When I brush my hair, after just the first stroke the brush is absolutely covered in a white and grey, very greasy sort of fluff. There is so much of it! I have to clean my brush several times just to get my hair brushed through once. 

It is not as noticeable on my comb, although when hair breaks off while I am de-tangling there is so much fluff clinging to it - actually more fluff than hair! I don't know what it is but I don't like the idea of all that being in my hair. No matter how long I brush my hair for each time, I can never get it to the point where no fluff is coming off...it seems to be never-ending! 

I first thought since my hair now has more evenly distributed natural oils maybe it was just attracting more dust from the air, but the fluff is there immediately after I have washed and dried my hair, so I don't think it can be that. Then I thought it was coming from my hair towel, so I stopped using it, but that didn't work either.

Can you help me fix the problem? Many thanks in advance!

Re: White, greasy deposit on brush

When did you start using the products?  If you are still going through detox, chances are this is a mixture of chemical build-up and your scalps sebaceous oils.  If you are through the detox period, it is just your scalps sebaceous oils.  As you brush this through your hair it will coat and protect your hair strands which is what is causing it to feel greasy, because it is oils.  I would recommend doing the Zen Detox once a week for the next three weeks and using cornstarch as a dry shampoo.

3 (edited by Rachel777 2014-12-02 18:52:24)

Thank you for the reply, Katie.

I believe I am about 4 months into using MM products, and it has been 5 months since I last used a conventional chemical shampoo.

I may not have explained myself properly. My hair itself does not feel greasy - it feels great! What I am concerned about is the greasy fluff coming off on my brush, of which there seems to be a never-ending supply! I don't like the idea of all this sitting in my hair (even though I can't see it until it comes out on the brush or with lost hairs).

That is your scalp's sebaceous oils.  It is your hairs natural conditioner and protectant from the environment.  It coats the hair to moisturize, strengthen, heal, and protect the hair.  This is a good thing and one of the reasons most people do not need conditioners when using our products.

Thank you for the answer!

The white deposit is explained, but what about the fluff? Do you mean you were getting little pieces of something like lint as well? And do you still get it? I pick up a lot of blue/blueish grey lint while sleeping (in fact tonight I should finally order silk cap and/or pillowcase), but I also noticed while I was water-only washing for a while that I would comb out MUCH MUCH MORE of the lint pieces AFTER I had washed my hair in the water than before, and they were making my tangles worse. I clean similar lint off of the bath tub sometimes and it almost makes me feel like it's coming from the water itself, it's so frustrating. As long as I get my hair clean enough though, this isn't that big of a problem.

7 (edited by Rachel777 2015-04-04 04:25:31)

Yes, exactly like lint. There was so much of it, I couldn't even get through one brushing of my hair without having to clean my brush several times. 

The situation has now improved a lot, and I only have to clean my brush properly about twice a week. I live in a very hard water area and recently cleaned my shower head and installed a shower filter, but I'm not sure whether that was what made the difference or whether my hair was just going through an abnormally long detox process that has now ended.

It seems like a water problem to me, use some proper filter for hard water.