Topic: Help: hair loss, dandruff, matted build-up

Hi,

I have almost-black hair, somewhere between straight and wavy. I've been alternating between 3 of Morrocco Method's shampoos (Earth, Air, and Ether) and the Pearl Creme conditioner for a little over two months now. Before that, I had quit harsh chemical shampoos for 2-3 months. I had read about the MM detox period and expected greasy roots from excess oil production, and dry hair elsewhere. 

When I used the shampoos, my scalp looked and felt great! I had dandruff for years and the shampoos managed to take care of that issue within the first 2 weeks. However, my hair looked and felt like a sticky, matted mess. Nonetheless, it was expected and I continued use with the hopes that things would look better. I would brush my hair with a boar bristle brush 2-3 times a day, but that only made my entire head look greasy. I did alternate in zen detox for the first little while. My hair became very voluminous, as again expected. It would no longer be matted, but the dry and sticky feeling didn't disappear. I tried to remedy the dryness with coconut oil, which is a personal favourite. I had to use more zen detox to naturally remove the excess oil, which defeated the purpose.

I noticed my "best" hair results would be when I used zen detox after a week of greasiness, and then did a quick ACV rinse the following day. After that, I am able to go 7-10 days without needing to shampoo. However, my scalp becomes dry and the dandruff re-appears.  Lately, I began to notice hair loss like never before. I realize some hair loss on a daily basis is normal. But this amount is absurd.

After a 10-day break, I took up the shampooing again, and my scalp recovered (although the hair loss continues). However, the matted, sticky feeling and look has returned. It's really concentrated at the crown of my scalp and back of my head. It is NOT just focused on the roots there. The hair at the nape of my neck and closer to my forehead is fine though. I initially thought it was because I wasn't properly rinsing out the product or diluting it enough. But I don't believe that is the case... I don't shampoo often (once every 2-3 days). I brush my hair at least twice a day. I don't treat my hair with heat. Aside from the one-time use of coconut oil, and the occasional ACV rinse, I haven't been using anything other than MM products. I've been blunt-cutting the ends of my hair on a monthly basis. 

I'm sure you receive enough inquiries like this one. But I really don't know what else to do. I'm embarrassed to let anyone touch my hair, and I keep it up in a ponytail as often as I can. Not to mention that the rate of hair loss is incredible. Do you think I'm still undergoing the detox period or is this another problem entirely?

Re: Help: hair loss, dandruff, matted build-up

You are definitely still going through detox.  The detox period can last anywhere from 3 days to 6 months.  It is completely normal what your hair is going through.  Many people get matted, waxy feeling hair during detox.  This is because while your hair is releasing the chemicals, they try to cling on for dear life to anything they can get ahold of, making your hair waxy.  You will have excessive hair loss during detox because your body is releasing dead, damaged hair to make room for healthy, strong hair.  The excessive hair loss will subside when you are done with detox.  I know how frustrating detox can be, I've done it myself, but the end result is completely worth it. 

Here are some ways you can deal with an oily/greasy scalp and hair:
- Wash TWICE. The first time will loosen any debris or oil that is in your hair, the second will wash it away. Because you are mixing the shampoo with water, you aren't using significantly more shampoo.
- Use apple cider vinegar rinse (100% organic acv) as a shampoo to clear away build up and to help restore your scalp's pH balance, then follow up with one of our shampoos. Try doing it once a week or every other day if needed.
- Do a Zen Detox once a week for 3 weeks, rest one week then repeat until your scalp begins to balance out again.
- Use the Earth Essence Shampoo in your rotation more often.
- Brush, brush, brush! Keep on brushing: Daily brushing of the hair and scalp (2-3 times a day):
     -- Far more cleansing than any commercial, artificial shampoo
     -- Eliminates waste materials- deposits of uric acid crystals, catarrh and other acids and impurities that build up and become encrusted on the scalp
     -- Stimulates the capillaries, increasing blood circulation and the transport of oxygen and nutrients to the hair stem, root and bulb
     -- Stimulates hormone- and oil- producing glands, which keeps the pores of the hair and scalp open, allowing them to breathe and retain their natural oils
- You can use cornstarch as a natural dry shampoo between washes

I know this period of detox is frustrating, but hang in there and you will be happy you did!

Warning: preg_replace_callback(): Empty regular expression in /home/morforum/public_html/include/parser.php on line 811

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected 'text' (T_STRING) in /home/morforum/public_html/include/parser.php(811) : runtime-created function on line 1

Warning: preg_replace_callback(): Requires argument 2, '', to be a valid callback in /home/morforum/public_html/include/parser.php on line 811

3 (edited by aaronsmith 2015-06-26 21:15:31)

Re: Help: hair loss, dandruff, matted build-up