1 (edited by astral_cat 2015-11-16 13:33:25)

Topic: Advice for someone new to MM

Hello! nomicons/grin  About a year ago I started using the "no poo" method of baking soda and ACV after reading an article about how harmful regular shampoos and conditioners can be. I quickly aborted the no poo method after my hair became brittle. I then moved onto organic shampoo bars coupled with ACV rinsing, and while I loved the results at first, my hair slowly began to develop this waxy, matted feeling. Feeling like I was out of options, but wanting to stand firm in my commitment to not use commercial shampoos and conditioners, I decided to solely use ACV rinses with weekly bentonite clay masks for my hair. This seemed to help some, but my hair never seemed to achieve its balance and would alternate between slightly greasy and matted to somewhat dry and tangled. I happened upon your products about a month ago after researching shampoo ratings on ewg.org/skindeep, and decided to order the travel set along with the boar bristle/nylon brush and zen detox. 

I must say I have noticed considerable improvement in my hair since using your products for the past month. They are by far the best natural option I have used. That being said, I still feel like my hair has not yet achieved equilibrium. Although my scalp is the healthiest it has ever been, my hair remains somewhat greasy and matted. I've read up on symptoms of detox and know that these are common signs, but after a year of avoiding harsh chemical shampoos I find it really hard to believe that I am still experiencing detox. Could I really still be going through detox after a year?

I have tried diluting the shampoo in a larger bottle so it is not so concentrated, but this hasn't helped much. Zen detox has helped a little, but it seems to just add another coat to my hair that masks the greasiness instead of actually removing the excess oil from the hair. 

I'm not really sure where to go from here...I really want to stick it out until my hair is finally clean and manageable, but after a year of putting up with matted hair, I feel defeated. Will my hair ever reach the point where it loses its excess oil and becomes clean and manageable? What can I do to speed up this process?

Thank you for your time!

Re: Advice for someone new to MM

Hi! I've been using Morrocco Method products for close to two years already. Like you, I started with the baking soda and ACV rinses before transitioning to MM. From my personal experience, although it is possible you could still be detoxing after a year...(I've read of some detoxes to go on that long), what made a HUGE difference for my hair was installing a water softener and chlorine filter in my shower. I live in Florida, where we have moderately hard to very hard water, and it's astonishing how much it can deposit in your hair. What happens is that the calcium and magnesium ions in the water deposit on your scalp, creating a film that can leave your hair oily and matted no matter how much you wash it. 

My advice would be to try washing your hair in filtered water first for a while and see how it fares! It may be all you really need to remove all the hard water minerals that have deposited in your scalp over time. They can really clog up your pores and prevent the shampoos from working efficiently and delivering all the good stuff to your scalp. 

Hope this helps! 

Much love,

Carla